Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The End Is Always Near (???)

Recently, I was introduced to a now dear friend of mine, Corrine. She is a poet/punk/human who started a writing group in which I am now a member. Unbeknownst to all of us, some forms of religion view this upcoming May 21st (as in ten freaking days from now) as the day when the Earth as we know it will be a giant ball of fire/floods/what-the-fuck. After we stopped laughing and picked ourselves off the floor, we decided to make an assignment for this week: to write about our own imminent deaths, or just death in general. Below is what I came up with tonight... It's work in progress (I think).


The clickity-clack of railroad tracks

and the whistles that finally close my eyes

are flying me through pitch-black memories

like a missile in disguise.


I must have been so tired.

I must have been losing my mind

to have laughed that way

so manically,

having denounced everything

and just riding the tide.


Underneath,

these hypnotized politicians

and failed magicians,

born in wine and muddy water,

envisioning selfish decadence

and faltering in the fear of their father’s nightmares.


But like an albatross across the ocean,

I am an alien in their perfect world,

and hovering above in the clouds

like a storm.


Side note: Charlotte, your writing is so playful and chewy! It's like orange juice: the more pulp the better.

1 comment:

  1. like it, chris. yes, was in dc the other day and saw many crazy-vans lining the street, proclaiming doom on the 21st. can't say that when a huge storm went over my house 2 nights ago that i didn't think about it :) when you die it's the death of the world...to you...maybe that's what they are thinking. i don't know. probably it's the buddhist/transpersonal program, but with recognition of duality the possibility are infinite! i will photocopy some dolphin language/LSD work i am reading about right now for later discussion...yes, respectable neurophysicists did this!!! now if only we could find a way to talk to mycelium...xoc

    ReplyDelete